Historic Trinity Church
Worship services of the Episcopal Church were first held in Centreville, Pennsylvania (now known as Buckingham) in the summer of 1837. Tradition says that they were held outdoors at the site of the present Historic Trinity Church Building.
That winter, Haslet Gibson offered the use of his coach house in Centreville.
Seeking a change from the Quaker and Baptist services that were then available, the citizens of Centreville organized and raised enough money in three years’ time to build the main part of what we see today. The building (less the side addition) cost $1,300.
Historic Trinity Church & Parish Cemetery
From late 1800 until the Depression of the 1930s, Trinity Church experienced a slow but steady growth and became a typical rural parish. For about ten years, during the Depression, the congregation had to accept financial help from the Diocese of Pennsylvania to remain in operation.
From the Second World War to the present there have been dramatic changes in the nature of rural and suburban communities. These changes helped to bring a steady growth in membership and then a need for additional worship, educational, and meeting space.
Grave sites in the Parish cemetery include anthropologist Margaret Meade and the Stavely family plot who owned the land that now makes up the church campus and was willed to the church upon the death of William Stavely in 1877.
In the 21st century, Trinity Church, Buckingham has built all the buildings it can fit on our land, and is concentrating on meeting the growing spiritual needs of the old members, the new members (many with young children) and the surrounding community.
We attempt to look upward to find God as our Guide … to look outward to where our ministry may be … and to look inward to prepare ourselves for service to God through Jesus Christ who calls us to worship and work together as a church family.